Want to soar high in the sky with stunning aerial views of the Teton Range, Snake River and Jackson Hole valley in Wyoming? Want to fly like an eagle and experience the inexplicable feeling of pure freedom and exhilaration? Try paragliding from the top of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort! The Aerial Tram takes you up the famous Rendezvous Mountain. You’ll start paragliding from an elevation of 10,450 feet as gentle breezes let you fly over the most spectacular scenery.
I experienced this amazing adventure on my birthday (thanks to my friends!). It was a wonderful surprise. I’d been staying in Teton Village, home of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, for months watching paragliders land with huge smiles on their faces. I knew I wanted to try it.
We headed up the tram on a sunny and cool morning. The winds were light, and it looked like the perfect time to paraglide! We were paired up for tandem paragliding with very experienced instructors. I was a bundle of excitement and nerves. My instructor expertly explained to me exactly what would happen, and I felt very confident in a successful flight.
We both had our own harness, and I sat in the front position for the best views! For launch, we ran a few fast steps together. I ignored my anxiety and felt my courage and adrenaline take charge. The momentum and breezes picked us up and within seconds I was sitting in a comfortable seat flying in the sky!
My nerves disappeared instantly as I sat back in awe. I was flying! What a glorious feeling. I was floating in the air! It was inspiring, peaceful, relaxing, exciting and slightly unnerving all at the same time. Hearing and feeling only the wind against my face was magical! Soaring with breathtaking views of Wyoming’s rivers, mountains, meadows and forests was sensational!
Paragliding: What To Know
- Professional pilots at Jackson Hole Paragliding take you on your adventure.
- You’ll be airborne for about 20 minutes –it’s the most amazing 20 minutes ever!
- With the high elevation and winds, it can be cold while flying. Dress appropriately. Wear athletic shoes, long pants, a wind breaker and warm layers of clothing.
- Bring a small camera (I tied the strap to my wrist and captured a few of these shots while airborne.)
- I recommend picking a sunny day with light winds for the best first time experience. Believe me, you will want to fly again!
Contact Jackson Hole Paragliding for more information or visit the base of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort activity center.
Have you paraglided? Share your experience or ask questions!